Aging is a natural part of life. However, there are plenty of signs of aging that can be improved, avoided, or negated with healthy habits and smarter lifestyle choices. Are you willing to revisit your approach to diet, self-care, exercise, and fashion?
5 Ways You Can Look Younger
There’s no magic elixir you can take to suddenly look 25 again. Aging is undefeated and, if you live long enough, you’ll eventually reach a point where “aging with grace” becomes the operative phraseology. But now is not the time to accept your fate. Whether you’re in your 40s, 50s, or 60s, you still have plenty of vitality left. The key is to be strategic about your appearance.
Here are a few specific ways you can look younger (and feel better):
1. Eat Fresher
You are what you eat. If you’re eating a diet full of fatty, processed foods with tons of carbs and sugar, you’re going to look and feel older than you really are. On the other hand, a diet that’s high in fresh, organic foods will leave you looking and feeling young and healthy. Here are a few recommended foods you should be eating more of:
- Extra virgin olive oil. Not all fats are bad for you. The key is to consume the right fats. Extra virgin olive oil is considered one of the healthiest fats on the planet. It’s known to reduce the risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure, and even increase skin elasticity and firmness.
- Vegetables. You’ve probably spent years telling your kids to eat more vegetables and it’s imperative that you do the same. Many veggies are high in carotenoids like beta carotene, which can protect your skin from aging.
- Bone broth. It doesn’t sound too appetizing, but bone broth is an extremely powerful anti-aging food. It’s linked to increased collagen, healthier skin, and reduced wrinkles.
In addition to consuming these fresh foods, be sure to eliminate or reduce your intake of white bread, sugary drinks, alcohol, potato chips, and greasy takeout.
2. Use These Makeup Hacks
The beauty of makeup is that you can use it to accentuate your best features and downplay the ones that make you look older than you are. Try makeup hacks like:
- Using golden and warm tones to brighten your face. (Avoid ash tones, which can make you look grey.)
- Plump up your lips by using a lip liner that matches your natural lip tone. Try overdrawing the bottom lip line (very slightly) for a fuller pout.
- Got dark circles? A concealer can keep your skin looking fresh and smooth.
- Don’t overdo eye makeup. Some simple shadowing can enhance your eyes, without making it look like you’re trying too hard.
Resist the urge to cake on makeup and look too “dolled up.” Work with what you have and carefully highlight your natural beauty.
3. Revitalize Thinning Hair
Hair loss in women doesn’t get nearly the same attention as it does with men, but it’s still a rampant issue. Make sure you’re on the lookout, so that you can address it right away.
“Unlike men, the earliest signs of hair loss in women typically do not show in their hairline,” explains Kiierr, which specializes in low-level light therapy (LLLT). “The initial symptoms of hair loss in women include their part widening slowly or their hair turning scanty and thin around the middle area.”
Achieving fuller hair requires good diet and smart haircare. Depending on the other factors involved, you may also consider a non-invasive treatment like LLLT.
4. Preserve Muscle Mass
You’re aware of the fact that your metabolism slows down with age. But did you know that, on average, you lose five pounds of muscle every decade after the age of 30? And the problem is that most people replace this muscle mass with fat.
If you want to look younger, you need to preserve more of your muscle mass (and avoid excess weight gain). You can do this through targeted strength training and workouts.
5. Update Your Wardrobe
A 55-year-old woman doesn’t need to dress like an 18-year-old girl. However, there are certain fashion-related tactics you can use to look younger. For example, bright colors can make you look fresher. Colors like mint green, lemon yellow, and coral red are all good choices.
Look Forever Young
Trying to reclaim your youth is futile, but who’s to say you can’t continue to look chic and vivacious well into your middle and upper years? Hopefully this article has provided you with some helpful tactics that you can use to look young and still appear tasteful. Which ones will you try?
Keep being AllDayChic!