Taking care of a good pair of jeans can be quite tricky especially when you paid an almost small fortune on them. Some can’t be washed in the machine, some need to be washed by hand or at a certain temperature, it can become very tricky and confusing. You will find out how to wash them, fold them and how to properly break them in.
1. Raw denim shouldn’t be washed for 6 months. Why? Because these type of jeans (with no washes, no fading) sometimes need up to 6 months to break in and shouldn’t be washed until then. Most of times the raw denim loses it’s shape and you don’t want that.
2. Luckily, most of the jeans we can find today are prewashed and treated so you don’t really need to break them in. Wash these only when they start to swag or when they are stained.
3. But what about the smell, if you don’t wash them? Before a shower, hang your jeans in the bathroom, the steam will help to keep them clean and smell nice between washes.
4. If you want your jeans to fade quickly wash them in hot water once, but if you want to prevent them from fading wash only in cold water at the delicate cycle of the machine or by hand.
5. To maintain the dark color of your jeans add 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar to the final cycle of the washing machine.
6. To prevent denim to lose it’s shape try not to dry them in the drying machine
7. If you want to fold your jeans like a pro, lay them down and fold in half from the left side to the right side. Take the legs and fold them in half so the hem will align with the waistband and fold again.
8. Because jeans fibers need to breath be careful to give them enough space in the closet.
9. If you have bought a new pair of jeans and you feel you need adjustments, before taking them to the tailor wash them at least twice because they might shrink or change shape.
10. If you want to buy a certain pair of jeans and you don’t have time to try them on, use the neck trick: take the jeans and place the waistline around the diameter of your neck. If the waistline comfortably meets at the back of your neck you can buy them because they will fit.
11. For jeans that are to tight we have a few tricks for you. Tug the damp waistband while you let them air dry or iron them while they are still wet.
12. To preserve the color for a longer time, wash your jeans inside out and this way you will enjoy them for a longer period of time.
Photo courtesy: stylecaster.
Keep being AllDayChic!